Certain types of oral contraceptive pills are designed to suppress the oil glands in your skin and when you stop the pill your hormones surge again which increases the oil production again. This generally lasts fo 6 months, which can be really annoying when you are trying to flaunt your beautiful blemish free skin on a selfie.
Here’s what you can do to prevent the post pill-acne blues:
1. Make sure you don’t just come off the pill and hope for the best. Prevention is best and you should really start treating the underlying cause a couple of cycles before you stop the pill.
2. Treat stress and sleep issues as they may have been causing stress levels to push a hormone called Androgen up. This hormone causes our skin to break out mainly around the chin area and the back. Androgen also throws your menstrual cycle out of balance and can cause long cycles and might mean you are not ovulating (anything longer than 35 days is considered too long).
3. Avoid cow’s milk – it contains hormones which mimic oestrogen (cow’s milk is for feeding baby cows, so they can grow big and strong). So that means hello almond milk lattes and goodbye cheese, yoghurt and ice cream. While you are at it, also avoid sugar as it spikes insulin which makes acne worse as it affects how your ovaries respond to hormones.
That means no sugary fruit, juices, chocolates, lollies or sweet alcoholic drinks – yes, wine and champagne are sweet alcoholic drinks too.
4. Get your hormones checked 3 months post coming off the pill – anything earlier will give you a false reading as your body will still be affected by the hormones in the pill. A good test is the DUTCH – hormone test as it assesses all hormone levels including Androgens and Adrenal hormones which hugely affect your skin.
5. Make sure your digestion works and you stay clear of food allergens – any bloating or skin flare ups after food should be noted and checked out. You can get your food allergies tested via a simple blood test with us at Natology.
Take bitter herbs and zinc to get your stomach acid levels up – this usually gets rid of any bloating after meals.
Want to find out more on how to keep your skin looking fresh even off the pill? Book in for a free chat to a Natology Naturopath here.