Most of us know that a good diet and lots of exercise should get you looking like Elle McPherson in no time if we only do it for long enough and not slip off the wagon…
What about those of us who have done it all, shakes, the Atkins diet, Paleo, vegan, intermittent fasting, you name it… and haven’t seen the results you were looking for?
Have you ever wondered if there might be more to calories in and out when it comes to weight loss?
The answer is yes, there is a lot more to it than most of us think. One very important little gland called the Thyroid gland might be holding the key to the answer you have been looking for all this time.
Think of the Thyroid gland as the key guardian for all your cells. We need those keys to unlock cells to get energy production happening and to regulate our temperature.
In a nutshell – The Thyroid controls your metabolism.
To give you a few examples of what I often hear Thyroid patients say in my clinic:
• Feeling cold, can’t get warm even when others feel hot or can’t cool down even when they stand in the freezer section of the supermarket;
• Their hair is falling out and they see strands come out in the shower and wonder how they still have hair left on their head;
• Eyebrow hair is coming off and they need to make an extra effort pencilling in the gaps in the morning;
• Weight has come on suddenly with no change in diet or exercise and they are very, very frustrated about that;
• They exercise daily and tried every diet under the sun and can barely keep their weight stable, or worse keep putting it on;
• Their Nails and skin feel dry and brittle and hairstyles don’t last more than an hour;
• They feel tired and often sad for no reason;
• Constipation has been more noticeable;
• A swollen neck or croaky voice has been there on and off;
So, I guess most of you would say, well my GP checked it in my last blood test and there was no issue, so I’m sure everything is fine.
Hold up, not so fast! Which marker was tested and what range was it in?
Did you know that in most cases the Thyroid is not checked unless you ask AND if it is checked only 20% of all Thyroid markers are checked if you do ask? If it is not functioning properly but not yet necessary to be medicated, you won’t be notified.
Be sure to always check for the following:
TSH – This is generally tested as the only marker and shows how fast the gland works – like an employee in your little key making business
T4 – indicates how much metal is on the shelf to make keys – no metal – no keys
T3 – this marker tells us how many perfectly shaped keys you actually have to unlock cells
Reverse T3 – This checks for blunt keys, pretty much blocking your cells up and stopping energy production = tiredness and weight gain
Sometimes we need to check for immune conditions affecting the Thyroid but I will go into that more in my next post.
You can see how important all of this is and how we need to assess all markers rather than one.
If you want to have your levels checked, we can perform a Thyroid blood spot in the clinic for you or you can have a test kit sent to your home, this is a good option for those of you who fear needles. The blood spot is only a small finger prick and you can either do it at home or come into our Brisbane or Sydney clinic to have it done.